Tuesday, November 23, 2010


Working on the Group project was not how I had imagined it to be. I did not attend the optional meeting when the specifics were discussed and that left me with a lot of questions and a bit confused. More seriously however, was that for days the Google Doc went crazy on me. I still don’t know what was happening. What I do know, is that I would never embark on another group project using this medium. It is too hard to review and edit.
Whenever I opened the document there was an error message. When I got around that, only the first five posts would be displayed, even though I knew more than three fourths more of the document had been created. I would have to close and reopen the document numerous times before the entire document could be seen. When I would try to copy and paste I could not access my clipboard. Occasionally, I would get a message asking if I would allow access to the clipboard. Only then could I past my text directly into the document. Accessing the end point was another battle. In order to come to the end where you paste your text you have to scroll almost forever. Needless to say, this was frustrating. Sometimes you would even have to wait while the remaining text uploaded into the document.
Making sense of the individual posts was another issue. It was hard for me to stay on top of the hodgepodge of information being posted daily. I believe it would have been simpler and more organized had everyone developed their portion of the project and we put it all together at the end. With that said, this assignment was messy and disorganized. However, the end result does not reflect any of the chaos we endured. I believe our final product reflects the skills of five talented and committed individuals who took our responsibilities seriously to ensure delivery of the best proposal in the class!

No comments:

21st Century Literacy

Information literacy is critically important today because we are surrounded by a growing ocean of information in new formats. Not all information is created equal: some is authoritative, current, reliable, but some is biased, out of date, misleading and false. The amount of information available is going to keep increasing. The types of technology used to access, manipulate, and create information will likewise expand.



I believe myself to be on the cutting edge of 21st Century Learning. In order to be information literate in the 21st Century, one must be adept in computer applications as well as media literacy . One must be able to engage all of the tools necessary to locate, evaluate and synthesize the great proponderance of information that is available on the web within seconds.



As an academic librarian, we are faced with siesmic changes in the organizational structure of libraries. I realize that for me to remain relevent in a socially networked academic world I must facilitate continuous motion in the ever developing trends of technology. To remain relevant, I cannot serve only those patrons who come to me in search of information , but I must reach into new spaces and deliver my services where my patrons are most likely to be.