I have been gathering information that has been useful in keeping academic library our services relevant for a new generation of users. What I did was to take a look at other universities that I assume are having similar problems. That is students non use of academic libraries
I concluded that taking a long tail approach to services is the most successful—that is taking services to the user through physical and virtual presence—catering to niche markets. This type of presence appeals to a much larger more and diverse audience. I believe we will harness a collective intelligence with our patrons using Web 2.0 tools. Web 2.0 are participatory simple technologies that allow for collaborative and social web application. Web 2.0 technology is geared toward Gathering information for individuals and collecting it for them to absorb at their leisure.
Librarians need this technology to reach out for patrons that we otherwise will never contact. We need these tools to remain relevant to information literacy. In order for us to become an integral part of the 20th century learning community we must adapt to the social nature of our students, particularly our undergraduate students who may fit their studies around unsocial hours. We must Emphasize the librarian’s role as “ guide to information” rather than the traditional role of an information keeper. Web 2.0 technologies allow libraries the opportunity for more outreach and creativity.
This blog will discuss how librarians can reach university students who never use our services. Marketing surveys have found that using the social web to for outreach to these students is having moderate success. We want to know which services, via the web are being utilized most successfully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21st Century Literacy
Information literacy is critically important today because we are surrounded by a growing ocean of information in new formats. Not all information is created equal: some is authoritative, current, reliable, but some is biased, out of date, misleading and false. The amount of information available is going to keep increasing. The types of technology used to access, manipulate, and create information will likewise expand.
I believe myself to be on the cutting edge of 21st Century Learning. In order to be information literate in the 21st Century, one must be adept in computer applications as well as media literacy . One must be able to engage all of the tools necessary to locate, evaluate and synthesize the great proponderance of information that is available on the web within seconds.
As an academic librarian, we are faced with siesmic changes in the organizational structure of libraries. I realize that for me to remain relevent in a socially networked academic world I must facilitate continuous motion in the ever developing trends of technology. To remain relevant, I cannot serve only those patrons who come to me in search of information , but I must reach into new spaces and deliver my services where my patrons are most likely to be.
I believe myself to be on the cutting edge of 21st Century Learning. In order to be information literate in the 21st Century, one must be adept in computer applications as well as media literacy . One must be able to engage all of the tools necessary to locate, evaluate and synthesize the great proponderance of information that is available on the web within seconds.
As an academic librarian, we are faced with siesmic changes in the organizational structure of libraries. I realize that for me to remain relevent in a socially networked academic world I must facilitate continuous motion in the ever developing trends of technology. To remain relevant, I cannot serve only those patrons who come to me in search of information , but I must reach into new spaces and deliver my services where my patrons are most likely to be.
3 comments:
Many libraries now use face book to indulge individuals who may never enter the physical library. Georgia State University has created a profile on Face Book which includes subject blogs for users to collaborate on various subjects.
http://www.facebook.com/georgiastateulibrary
I think Facebook can be a very good way to reach more users. The new generation of college students are not using the physical library as much and want the materials to be easy to access so they do not have to go to the physical building. They want most things available with a few clicks of their labtops. Facebook may be a way of helping them with ideas for their assignments or for a tutorial on how to,so when they get to the physical building they already know what they are looking for and can go quickly to the materials needed.
Anet -- a good beginning on your blog. I am wondering what you stated in your text box below. The title says 21st century literacy but in the text box, it keeps stating 20th century learning. Am I missing something or is this a typo? * Dr. B
Post a Comment